Breaking News
recent

My worry – Vardy won’t be going to the Euros

It’s been very difficult for the players and staff of Leicester City Football Club to escape much praise and recognition for their staggering rise this season. Jamie Vardy is one to have been singled out thanks to his goal scoring form, his match-long energy and all round commitment to Leicester’s cause.

Follow e-Football!

e-Football Facebook - Click Here
e-Football Twitter - Click Here
e-Football Instagram - Click Here
e-Football YouTube - Click Here
e-Football Google+ - Click Here

*e-Football are looking for football fans of all clubs as writers of match previews/reports, opinion based articles and nostalgic pieces. Interested in this amazing opportunity? e-mail e-football@live.co.uk.

Article by Tom Burford

Now he is just under 4 months away from having the chance to go from a relative non-league no hoper with Fleetwood Town , to leading the line for his national side at the European Championships in the space of 4 seasons.

None would deny him this prestigious achievement, but I’m worried that Roy Hodgson’s decision to stick with his old reliables may well cost Vardy a place, not only in the starting XI, but the entire 23 man squad.

Article continues below.....



The last thing I intend to do here is spread negativity in the lead up to a major tournament, as I think when the press do this year in year out, it can really affect and disrupt the England camp as they try and prepare. I just thought it would be interesting to share why I think Jamie Vardy may well miss out (considering everyone stays fit).

In recent years, England have never taken more than 5 forwards to a major tournament in their squad of 23, I think they’ll only take 4 this time, as long as the following strikers are 100% fit.

I have mentioned before that I don’t think Wayne Rooney’s performances over the last 18-24 month have warranted him to be a permanent fixture in the England starting XI. Up against the likes of Vardy, Kane, Sturridge when fit and firing and even Danny Welbeck, Rooney is starting to show signs that his days of blistering runs at defences and regular goal scoring are behind him.

I was disappointed to hear Hodgson say when discussing striking options for the Euros on Match of the Day recently “Wayne Rooney is Wayne Rooney”. This is a worrying sign to me that he’s untouchable, and the fact he’s been made captain only aids that. With this in mind, that’s already one striking option filled, when I don’t even think that’s his best position anymore.

Harry Kane also must go for me. Despite this article attempting to sing the praises of Jamie Vardy, I must say that Kane is a better striker than him in most attribute areas, but maybe not when chasing a game where raw pace is needed.


In my humble opinion, Daniel Sturridge is the best striker we have. I understand that there’s a fair chance of another injury on the cards between now and the Euros, but I really hope that’s not the case, if he’s fit and on his game, he and Kane will form a formidable striking partnership.

Danny Welbeck is the man who I think is in direct competition with Vardy for that 4th spot. He’s scored important goals for Hodgson before, especially in the qualifying campaign for this tournament, and the England manager couldn’t hide he delight when his winning goal was discussed against Leicester for Arsenal on Match of the Day last Sunday. I honestly can’t see Hodgson not picking Welbeck so, with this in mind, Hodgson would have to cut on the midfield, a midfield he said he was “very happy with” on Match of the Day. I honestly can’t see him leaving any of the following out; Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, James Milner, Jordan Henderson, Ross Barkley, Theo Walcott, Adam Lallana, Eric Dier, Delli Ali.

Although I don’t disagree with the inclusion of any of the above midfielders, I would say there are a couple there that should make way for the inclusion of Jamie Vardy, Adam Lallana and Theo Walcott in particular.

And with the selection of nine midfielders, that leaves space for only seven defenders.

This is a tough call in itself as there are a couple of defenders who have seriously under-performed this season, but that I feel will still get a call-up, Gary Cahill and Phil Jones in particular.

I think it’s very important to consider that our best two goal scoring strikers are Kane and Vardy, but I also thinks it’s a waste of two, possibly 3 places if you fill them with strikers of the same ilk that don’t score as many goals. Although I wouldn’t start Vardy, if the game pattern forced us into a counter attacking style, he’s our best option. I also think that as ugly as the style of play is occasionally, sometimes you need a target man. Andy Carroll is the best in the business at that. Imagine bringing him of with 20 mins to go up against ‘leggy’ defenders who have been chasing Jamie Vardy around for 75 minutes!


But it’s with regret that I predict England 23 man squad to the European Championship to be ‘Vardyless’.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Jack Butland

Defenders: Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, John Stones, Ryan Bertrand, Nathaniel Clyne, Kyle Walker

Midfielders: Raheem Sterling, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, James Milner, Jordan Henderson, Ross Barkley, Theo Walcott, Adam Lallana, Eric Dier, Delli Ali

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (c), Harry Kane, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck

Despite my calls for Vardy to be included, I do genuinely believe we have an excellent chance of progressing to at-least the Quarter Finals, maybe even the Semis. We’re going into a tournament where the big hitters now have ageing squads and our young talented youngsters could give them a real run for their money. So with the FA targeting us to win the 2022 World Cup, we certainly wouldn’t want to replicate the performance at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Here’s what I think is our strongest line-up based on the squad above;


© e-Media Group 2016 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of @e_media_group

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.