Breaking News
recent

Why 2015 will be a lot better than 2014 for Reading

Article by Charlie Firth

Follow e-Reading on Twitter!

Well what a way to start the new year. Away to Huddersfield, one goal, a clean sheet AND Jem Karacan is back. JEM KARACAN! I nearly forgot he existed. My thoughts before the match were that if we won, then we would go on a run without losing for the next 5-10 games after… Let’s hope that’s the case.

I wasn’t at Huddersfield, but I was at Norwich and the back line was impressive and, I gather, were solid again at Huddersfield, getting a clean sheet out of it this time, which we probably would should have gotten from Norwich, if it weren’t for some torrid officiating- ah well.

It’s great to see our defence looking decent again, it will be a massive confidence boost for the players further up the pitch to know that they have an organised defence that (finally) know what they’re doing and that are working together. Alex Pearce seems to be a fine choice by Steve Clarke for captain. Bar Sean Morrison, he was the one who I thought should be given the armband in the summer. It all seems to have given him the role of ‘head of defence’ as he looks like the bloke who’s organising everyone and telling them where to go, who to mark, what to do. Hurrah.

Hal Robson-Kanu was super against Norwich, and that’s such a relief. I don’t know how, or why, but Adkins’ dismissal seems to have rejuvenated him in some way and I truly hope he continues playing well, I like him a lot and there’s a lot he can offer for us, as we tend to see when he plays for Wales. This has been rather frustrating, but hopefully his first anything (out of goals and assists) this season in his penalty against Norwich, will give him confidence. Norwood seems to be playing well again, I saw at least two world class passes from him the other day, and Danny Williams’ man of the match performance against Norwich is a real boost; I felt he was a bit off against Bolton and Watford.

We’ve got players returning from injury. As previously mentioned, Jemba’s back, we also have Jamie Mackie (who I think is an excellent player), D Guth (who I don’t rate to be honest, I hope he proves me wrong) and Cummings (who I personally thought would be our left back this season, but Obita seems to have regained confidence back there).

If we look to the academy, we’ve got the likes of Jake Cooper coming through and despite his Birmingham nightmare, he’s a very good young defender, who played so well against Norwich (the first time) and Bolton. Aaron Kuhl, a player I like immensely, who I think is better than Danny Guthrie. Dom Samuel hardly got a touch at Huddersfield but appears to be scoring goals for fun at under-21 level. I’m glad he got a shout at away at Town. In my opinion these three youngsters deserve loans. We have players returning from injury, we have first team cover, we need to let these great talents get some game time in a proper football league.

And, on a final note, we have Steve Clarke football to look forward to. I love the way the team plays at the moment. With Nige, it was extremely frustrating the way we pussyfooted around the edge of the box with the ball, pass after pass after pass, but no shot and we never counter attacked well. Finally, I’m seeing football I like. Good football, football that’s exciting to watch. We pass nicely, there’s very little long balls played forward, which is such a relief, we have efforts at goal, it’s great. I think (and hope) that we’ll shoot up the table over the next few months under Stevey Clarke, who’s proved to be a great appointment so far.

© e-Football 2014 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Football

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.