Breaking News
recent

My All Time Liverpool XI

Article by Red Phil

Follow e-Manchester United on Twitter!

To begin the New Year – and a Happy New Year to all Liverpool fans – please indulge me whilst I do my own version of what some infinitely more knowledgeable people have done recently . . . . giving you my all-time best Liverpool team from the fifty-odd years I been watching the Reds. Now, with so many world-class stars to choose from, the chances of anybody agreeing with my choices is almost nil but, hey-ho, let’s give it a go!

In goal it simply has to be Ray Clemence. We haven’t had a decent one since he left! My right back, with Lawler, Neal and Nichol being the main possibilities but my choice has to be the best full-back, in my opinion, we’ve ever had . . . Steve Nichol. Pace, unbeatable in the tackle, the lad had everything. Central defence, I believe, needs two-footed players, equally good upstairs or on the ground, with oodles of pace and an almost telepathic understanding. Sorry, it has to be Hansen and Lawrenson, even though Thommo was there when we only conceded 16 in a full season.

Left back is contentious with Gerry Byrne and Alec Lindsay being overlooked so I can squeeze in one of my favourite-ever LFC players . . . the Mighty Emlyn! His rampaging runs, his passion, his love of the game, his leadership . . . the man was brilliant and he would also be my captain.

By now you are probably saying “this guy is an idiot” (the jury is out on that) as I’ve left out other great players. If you are right, I apologise. I also may rate some players differently to many of you . . . which doesn’t make me right or you wrong.

Midfield? Dalglish and Gerrard, our best ever players are certainties with Souness, a particular favourite of mine, to add the bite and control and Callaghan to provide the industry across the line. Sadly, great players like Terry Mac, John Barnes and a lot of others don’t quite make the list although they’d both be on my bench!

Up front, and I now wish that I was an Evertonian so I’d only have a couple of players to choose from, I’m going for Rushy and Fowler. One of them the perfect foil for King Kenny’s endless through-balls and the other probably the best natural goal-scorer we’ve ever had. When you think that I’ve left out Keegan, Toshack, Hunt, St John, Torres, Suarez and Owen you can see how well we’ve been served in that position over the years!

Substitutes would be the much-underrated Tommy Lawrence (the “flying pig”), Thommo, Lawler, Barnes, Terry Mac, Kevin Keegan and Rodger Hunt!

Captained by Emlyn Hughes and managed by a mixture of Shankly and Paisley, with the LFC fans in full voice and teams falling before the combined might of what I’m laying before you! Could you agree with none, some, most or all of my selections? Have I had a moment of madness and missed out a hero?

© e-Football 2014 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Football

1 comment:

  1. I can agree and disagree, we have had so many great players it really is a difficult task, Many of those names would be in my team and on another day they wouldn't. lets not forget Beardsley, Liddle and Whelan, it could go on.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.