Breaking News
recent

Upton Park under the hammer

Article by e-West Ham Correspondent Brandon Freeman

Get the latest West Ham news by following us on Twitter!

With news breaking last week that West Ham have reached an agreement to sell Upton Park, following our agreed move to the 54,000 Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, I felt it only fitting to ask the question, are the owners right in thinking that this move will give us the platform to improve the clubs stature within the Premier League?

Vice-Chairman Karen Brady appears confident that The Galliard Group, named successful bidder for the site, will honour the history of the club through its development of the site, speaking to the Guardian, these were her thoughts;

"In addition, and most importantly for us, we can see that Galliard are passionate about working with West Ham United to engage their supporters to help deliver a fitting legacy that will honour the tradition of the famous ground.”

However, I can’t help but feel saddened that we may never see those European nights at Upton Park that my granddad and so many other older West Ham fans talk so fondly of. Although during our 99 year lease of the Olympic stadium I am sure at some point we will be treated with those nights! This leads me on to the next questionable factor in our move, atmosphere. Down the years many a player has spoken of their reluctance at coming to East London to play West Ham, mainly due to the hostile, unwelcoming atmosphere that greeted them Therefore, like many fans, I wonder whether or not the Olympic stadium will have that same affect on the opposition. Furthermore, when the players take to the pitch at Upton Park, the crowd begin to roar and a chorus of I'm forever blowing bubbles begins to fill the stadium, there is absolutely nothing which compares to it. So naturally I fear that this atmosphere might suffer in a bigger, less intimidating, stadium but I am certain that this would be solved if we can fill the 54,000 seater stadium.

Whatever the future of West Ham I am sure that by the time the players take to the pitch in our new stadium, the owners would have assembled a squad that the fans will be only too happy to sing about!

Do you believe that leaving our home of 110 years will be a move in the right direction for West Ham?

© e-Football 2014 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Football

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure we will be a bigger and better club as soon as we move to the new ground. I would love to see bigger and batter player in the hammers squad and challenging for the Top Titles in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been born in the East End and lived in East Ham most of my life, and going to school on the site now occupied by the BM stand, I will be really sad to see the Boleyn ground demolished.
    BUT....I firmly believe that we must move on, and the Olympic Stadium is a fantastic opportunity to raise the profile of the club to a level we have never enjoyed.
    Everything changes with time, and this can only be good for the club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Although it will be sad to leave the Boleyn, I firmly believe that moving to the Olympic Stadium will surely enable the club to progress to new heights.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.